You are here: Sri Vaishnava Home Page : Bhakti List : Archives : August 1995

Question on Alvars

From: Eswar Josyula (76142.1306_at_compuserve.com)
Date: Wed Aug 09 1995 - 13:23:55 PDT

Thanks to Badri for explaining the questions on 'Alvars'. I have
to start practicing to write "Aazhvaars".

In his mail, he mentioned that there was no reference in scripture
on the Aazhvaars. I had read a book by A. Govindacharya in which
there was a refrence on Srimad Bhagavatham 11th canto.  There
was mention of some Dravidian saints and how heavenly gods aspired
to take birth on earth even in Kali yuga just to associate with
these elevated souls.

Unfortunately, I do not have the the book by Govindacharya and the
11th canto Bhagavatham.  Does anybody know what the verse from
the Bhagavatham is which talks about the Dravidian saints?

-Eswar