Re: Clarification Please....

From the Bhakti List Archives

• August 28, 2001

Dear Sri Badrinath,

I believe that this issue was addressed previously.  But, here is a
brief
synopsis that I hope will help as a start.

Badrinath D wrote:

> Can he/she belong to Sri Vaishnava sampradaya by virtue of his/her birth
> alone. If not so,
> what are the qualities that are required to state he/she belongs to Sri
> Vaishnava     sampradaya. For example getting Panchasamaskara by beloved
> Acharyans etc qualifies he/she as a Sri Vaishnava.
>
>  What part does birth place in this.

Contrary to popular belief, one is not born a SriVaishnava.  One can
only become
one through the receiving of the most important sacrement of our
tradition, the
panchasamskAram, which links the devotee through a disciplic succession
to the
Lotus Feet of our Divine Couple through the intercession of
paramAchArya,
emperumAnAr Sri Ramanuja.  It also bestows one with the treasure of
treasures,
the rahasyatrAyam, the three sacred mantras that lead one to realization
of one's true nature as a servant to the Lord and a beneficiary to His
Grace and Mercy.

The accessibility of Sriman Narayana is such that this ancient sacrament
is made
available to anyone, irrespective of race, caste, creed or gender.

If there can be an advantage to birth, it is only in being blessed to
being born
into a family that  follows SriVaishnavam, as it provides us with
greater
opportunity to discover the joy of receiving the AchAryan's grace
through
panchasamskAram.

I hope this helps.

adiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan