Re: Avaniavittam and Gayathri Japam

From the Bhakti List Archives

• August 27, 2001

Rajeev writes:
> Another interesting fact is that the starting of any new
> (vedic) studies on the day >after< Sravani Paurnami (i.e. on,
> Sravana Krishna Paksha, Prathami/Paadyami) is considered as
> inappropriate. Any reasons ?

Dear Rajeev,

pADyami/prathamA is always considered inappropriate for
beginning *any* study, including that of the Vedas.
Valmiki Maharshi echoes this rule in Sri Ramayana, a
learned friend has told me several times.

An interesting exception is the Rg Upakarma, conducted
on SrAvaNa-sravaNa, which often falls on a pADyami.
This is probably because the naimittika-dharma, i.e.,
the Upakarma, takes precedence over the general rule.