Re: [srivenugopala] Re: Any Answer- Rangas

From the Bhakti List Archives

• August 24, 2001

At 03:17 PM 8/23/01 +0530, you wrote:
>Dear Bhakthas,
>As sri Sadagopan pointed out, SriRangapattana temple is the AdiRanga.
>I have visited the Ranganatha Temple near Sivansamudra near the scenic
>Gaganachukki Bharachukki Waterfalls,off Malavalli near Mandya which is
>clearly indicated as the Madhya Ranga by painting on the gopuramvashal of
>the small temple.
>Srirangam temple is the Anthya Ranga along the banks of river Kaveri. I
>dont know why even though Mayavaram Parimalaranganathaswamy temple is
>nearest to the Mouth, it is not called Anthya Ranga.
>Adiyen Ramanuja

Dear Sriman Ramanuja : Thanks for your welcome comments.
If being in the middle of an island formed by Cauvery river ,
a few Ranga KshEthrams will fall off the list.

Thirukkudanthai (Hema Rangam )and IndhaLUr would not qualify .
Many times sthala purANams introduce some lofty status to
score one upmanship . I think it would be good for us to
go by AzhwAr MangaLAsAsanams . Among the 108 dhivys dEsams
sung by AzhwArs, more than 20 have the Lord in Sayana ThirukkOlam .
Not all of them are called RanganAtha kshEthrams (AaadhanUr ,
PuLLambhUthankudi, ThiruveLLiyankudi, ThiruveLLUr , Thirukkadanmallai,
ThiruvehhA , Anbil , Appakkudam , SiRu PuliyUr et al).

The Adhi-Madhya - Anthya Rangam concepts have been blended
some times with the concept of Pancha Ranga KshEthrams
to include Thirukkudanthai , Thiru IndhaLUr made famous by
Kaliyan's mangaLAsAsanam. Thiru IndhaLUr is a suburb of
Mayavaram or MayilAduthuRai , which is where Cauvery comes to
Sangamam. That made TulA SnAnam famous here and Thiru IndhaLUR
got the name of anthya Rangam .

All of these nomenclatures have to be taken in the context
of local affection factors. The centrality of Sri Rangam
and KasthUri Rangan in Sri VaishNava SampradhAyam and that of
Thirukkudanathi Hema Rangan (AarAvamudha AzhwAr) however
can never be underestimated.

V.Sadagopan