Re: MangaaLya Stavam

From the Bhakti List Archives

• August 14, 2001

Sadagopan writes:
> For young women , recitation of this sthOthram is rcognized
> to result in marriage to a good husband (Soumangalyathvam),
> and all anishta nivrutthi.

Dear Sri Sadagopan Maama,

Thank you for bringing the details of this stavam to light.
I do have one doubt about the applicability of this prayer,
which I ask respectfully. As prapannas we are taught that
we must not seek anything other than the Lord Himself, and
that for this too only the Lord must be the means. We are
'kRta-kRtyas', ones that have done all that need be done.
Further, Sri Krishna tells us in Sri Bhagavad Gita, "To
act alone is your right, and never the fruit..." (karmaNy
evAdhikAras te, mA phaleshu kadAcana).

Is it correct then to recite this prayer for the sake of
some personal kshemam, such as marriage, etc.? I ask this
out of clarification so that we can know the proper place
for these powerful prayers in our daily life.

With respects,
aDiyEn