Seva kalam ghosti

From the Bhakti List Archives

• August 11, 2001

Sri Gunaseelan Venkatachary wrote:
"In the same context I am interested in knowing
> few more reasons,  in normal Sevakalam Ghosti why "the so called non
> Brahmins" have not been included . I do agree that this is Ok for those
who
> have not had Samashrayanam. But for Srivaishnavas after having the
> Samashrayanam they should have every right to join the Prabhanda Ghosti if
> not Veda Ghosti(Which may have lot of other restrictions).
> This is applicable for both Kalais. Adiyen would request the Sri
Vaishnavas
> to correct me if I am wrong.

It is quite conceivable that to ensure uniformity in rendering, the ghosti
may not permit new comers to join them.

In this connection I would like to narrate my experience sometime ago in
similar occasion.

We had gone as a group for the samprokshanams of Irattai Tirupathis in 1998.
We were very keen to recite Divya Prabandham and Vishnu Sahasranamam at the
consecrated temples.  We were refused permission for this saying that this
was the right only of the hereditary ghostis. We sat in the outer prakaram
and did the recitation. A large number of Sri Vyashanavas joined us in the
seva to our pleasant surprise.Some of them offered corrections to our
recitation which we thnakfully acccepted. They were splendid experiences.
On one day during that trip, we had organised thirumanjanam at Sri Vaikuntam
temple. There was only one priest in the temple who also had to double up
for preparation of Thiru Amudhu. Therefore after thirumanjanam, there was
some idle time while the thiru amudhu was being prepared. We thought that we
could use the time for Divya prabandham recitation. As soon as we started,
the priest came rushing out of madapalli and asked us to stop, stating that
only the hereditary group can do that in the temple sanctum.

Noticing this, an old swami told us to do bhajan using Divya Prabandham to
which no one could object. We galdly accepted and did that.

adiyen Ramanuja dasan

D Bala sundaram