Re: time to give up milk even in India?

From the Bhakti List Archives

• August 9, 2001

--- In bhakti-list@y..., Mani Varadarajan  wrote:

> What do you all think about this? Is it time to give up drinking
> commercially produced milk? Is it not a violation of the
> Vaishnava dharma to participate in such injury?
>
> It pains me to no end to read how we torture our fellow beings.
>
>   "ahimsA prathamam pushpam ...
>    sarva-bhUta-dayA pushpam ...
>    vishnoH prItikaram bhavet"
>
>   "Non-injury and compassion to all living creatures
>    are two of the flowers which truly please Vishnu."
>
> aDiyEn,
> Mani

I am deeply saddened and disillusioned by Sri Mani's posting. While I
certainly cannot even begin to explain the enigma that is India, I
would like to share a few thoughts as to what we in the West can do.

Unlike much of the rest of the world, and contrary to popular belief,
the USA offers many options to those who for spiritual, health, or
environmentally conscious reasons, prefer alternative and wholistic
diets.  This is particularly so in the Rocky Mountain Region, which
for years has been deeply influenced by Native American and Asian
philosophy.  As a result, there are several dairies and milk
producing companies here that are advertising their products as being
guaranteed to be the result of the "humane" treatment of animals.
The cows in such dairies are fed no chemicals or animal by-products,
and if I understand correctly, are allowed to graze and nurse their
calves in a natural way.  While most of these dairies are localized
and generally provide door to door service, some, like Horizon Dairy,
sells its products on the shelf in most leading grocery stores.  The
milk, of course, is pasteurized in order to meet FDA codes prior to
being packaged. And to meet a larger demographic, it can also be
purchased in low-fat and non-fat varieties, as well as whole milk.

My wife and I have been purchasing the milk of what some dairies
call "happy cows" for several years.  While it costs a little more,
the health and spiritual benefits are well worth it, what to speak of
the priceless value of being able to offer our perumAl milk that is
produced in a way that makes Him happy.

While I have so far spoken only about Colorado, I am certain that
many states have similar facilities.  I would like to suggest that we
make a concerted effort to put together a list of these "animal-
friendly" dairies and share them in this forum.  If we gather
together with the larger Hindu communities in a concerted effort to
purchase such milk, it could potentially create enough of an impact
to get the mainstream dairies to start thinking about their own
methods of milk production.

adiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan
Mohan