Re: An erudite guide of Vaishnavism

From the Bhakti List Archives

• August 3, 2001

Dear BhakthAs :

Srivaikunta Vaasi Sri Srirama DesikAcchAr's centenary celebration
is planned for Aug 15-16 . AdiyEn received an invitation to participate
in the festivities from my dear friend and Classmate , Sri V.N.Gopala
Desikan of Oppiliappan Koil yesterday.

Sri Srirama DesikAcchAr Swamy , His Father NavanItham KrishNamAcchAr
Swamy and thge other members of this illustrious family , Dr.V.N.VedAntha
Desikan ,
Sri V.N.Gopala Desikan have and are contributing immensely to enrich our
dearest SampradhAyam .

Sri Srirama DesikAcchAr Swamy has been my MaanasIka Guru from my
childhood .His simplicity , prolific creativity , depth of knowledge about
Sri Bahgavath RaamAnuja Darsanam are legendary .

One point that I want to bring to your attention is that he was born
when Punarvasu Nakshathram was in ascendance on that Aadi day
in the year 1901 CE and hence he was named Srirama Desikan .
He has been a true Desikan for all of us .

Sri Srirama DesikAcchAr Swamy named his son Sri GopAla Desikan
and gave him the nick name of KaNNan , because of his devotion to
Swamy NammAzhwAr and his veneration of KaNNan.Sri Gopala
Desikan is carrying on the magnificient traditon of his family thru
his pravachanams , AchAryakathvam and publications in Sri Nrusimha
PriyA ( Swamy NammAzhwAr ThiruvAimozhi and SatakOpan anthAdhi
of Kambha NaatAzhwAr).

On this day of Swamy AlavandhAr 's Thirunakshathram , let us give our
grateful thanks for the blessings of such great AchAryAs like Sri Srirama
DesikAcchAr Swamy .

Oppiliappan Koil VaradAchAri SatakOpan

..