Re: Vaikanasa srivaishnava

From the Bhakti List Archives

• August 2, 2001

Dear Suderson,

Your argument is a good one, but it appears we are disputing
the definition of "SrI vaishnava". "SrI vaishNava"
typically means one who belongs to the acharya-paramparA
of Bhagavad Ramanuja -- lakshminAtha samArambhAm, nAtha-yAmuna
madhyamAm, etc. The followers of this tradition are
known as Ubhaya Vedanta pravartakas, since they
believe in the unity in meaning of the Sanskrit Vedanta
as well as the Dravida or Tamil Vedanta.

Based on this definition, vaikhAnasa VaishNavas cannot
be called "SrI vaishNavas" since they neither have
Sri Ramanuja in their acharya-paramparA nor do they
rever the Alvars and the Divya Prabandham.

Periya Thirumalai Nambi was a pAncarAtra vaishNava of the
tradition of Sri Yamunacharya. This community is what
is now known as SrI vaishNava. He was not a vaikhAnasa.
His role in Tirumalai was distinctly not that of a temple
priest. Rather, if I recall correctly, he performed pushpa
and tIrtha kainkaryam to Lord Srinivasa on his own volition.

aDiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan,
Mani