Re: demigod worship

From the Bhakti List Archives

• August 27, 2000

     Srimathe Narayanaya namha

     There is absolutely nothing wrong in you partiality towards
     worshipping only Krishna. Sri PoigaiAzhwAr in his mudhal
     thiruvandhAdhi says
     "thamarugandhadhu evvuruvam, avvuruvam thAnE
      thamarugandhadhu eppEr, maRReppEr - thamarugandhu
      evvaNNam sindhithu imayAdhirupparE
      avvaNNam AzhiyAnAm"

     Looks like this pAsuram is to clear your doubt exclusively. Here Sri
     PoigaiAzhwAr says, He (Sriman Narayanan) takes the form that His
     adiyAr likes and takes the name that His adiyAr spells. So in whatever
     form you think it is ultimately Sriman Narayanan. Hence adiyEn sees
     nothing wrong in your partiality towards Sri Krishna.

     Regarding the advaitha influence, there could be two views on your
     inclination. First your freedom to follow any philosophy. Secondly,
     this being a list devoted to the VisishtAdvaita philosophical
     discussions, adiyEn would request you to kindly browse thro' various
     articles discussed on the advaitha Vs VisishtAdvaita in the archives.
     However great achAryAs like Swami ALavandhAr, Swami EmberumAnAr, Swami
     Desikan and many other AchAryAs have done great works proving that the
     advaitha stand point regarding the Brahman is wrong and that their
     interpretation of the vEdhas and upanishads to prove there stand point
     is also wrong.

     adiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan,

     Thirumalai Vinjamoor Venkatesh