Re:Pseudo-gods and Hinduism

From: lakshminarayan krishnaswamy (tngepl_at_hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 17 2000 - 11:15:10 PDT

Dear Bhakthas,

I refer to Smt.Shuba’s posting on the above subject and would like to add a
few words  on it.
1) “Self Styled Godmen” is a well know phenomenon.  In an age where people
look around for instant reliefs, is it correct to hold the gullible
population alone responsible for the spread of this phenomenon.
2) I quite agree with Smt.Shuba – The one positive contribution of some
these god men is that they have diverted a large part of the population to
Bhagawat Vishayams, besides doing social service to neglected and remote
villages. We may not agree with the content and style of their preachings.
However their contribution to society cannot be ignored or overlooked.
3)  As regards Smt.Shuba’s reference to the Bhagawad Gita, in chapter 9 –
23, Lord Krishna says “THOSE WHO ARE DEVOTEES OF OTHER GODS AND WHO WORSHIP
THEM WITH FAITH ACTUALLY WORSHIP ONLY ME, O SON OF KUNTI, BUT THEY DO SO IN
A WRONG WAY”.
If we had a burning desire to propagate the religion that we know to be the
right one, it can only be done by spreading the salient features of this to
every one without discrimination.Did not Udayavar (even at the risk of his
going to hell) want the “entire humanity” to be able to go to Heaven. For
this, the concepts and precepts of this religion have to be re-packaged  in
a widely acceptable format and in the common man’s language along with
English.  Further service to humanity has to be accepted as the most
important mode of service to Sriman Narayana .  In this connection the
yeoman service of  Sriman. Velukkudi Krishnan Swami in adopting villages and
doing social service there besides bringing in as large a cross section of
people into Srivaishnavism needs to be emulated.

Adiyen

K.Lakshminarayan