Re: Pseudo Gods etc.

From the Bhakti List Archives

• August 16, 2000

     Srimathe Narayanaaya Namaha

     Dear Members,

     This is slightly a lengthy message. Adiyen tends to think alike with
     Sri Sriram Ranganaathan. Our age old practices which have been set by
     our poorvAchAryAs should not be changed for whatever be the reason. Our
     tradition is of course the panchakachham and madisaar. However already
     there are changes in this as adiyEn sees and so does everybody. Many
     bhAgavatAs who do kainkaryam in some divya dEsams, who are grihasthAs,
     are coming to the temple in only the Brahmachari type vEshti. I am
     seeing this daily in my thiruvallikkENi temple. Also the woman folks
     (the "oppavar illA mAdhar" of thiruvallikkENi)  have changed to six
     yards excepting a very few. adiyEn also do not refute the claim that
     many of our Srivaishnava people come to temple in pants and shirts

     Now if we start relaxing the customs and traditions then everything
     will go hayway and the sanctity (I mean only the feeling when one goes
     to temple) will be gone if we relax unnecessarily just to invoke some
     folks who are going astray. The temple will no longer give the
     traditional looks, which, already we have lost a portion due to the
     modernisation of many temples, like flash lights, fans and etc.

     When our poorvAchAryAs have prescribed certain traditions to follow,
     there are really reasons for it whether we know or not. We need not
     change them. The identity of our sampradhAyam lies only in their
     prescriptions. It is only because, these maTams, for example, the
     vAnamAmalai maTam or the Ahobila MaTam and all are very strict in
     enforcing the traditional values, even today we see many people who are
     sishyAs of these maTams come in a traditional way to get the blessings
     of the jeeyAr swAmi. These people, some of them adiyEn knows, goes to
     temple in pants and shirt, but only panchakachham when they visit their
     AchAryan. So our achAryAns are really taking care of the sampradhAyam
     in a very right way.

     As Sri Sriram Ranganathan as pointed out, we need to inculcate these
     feelings in our people much in the same way as intended by our
     ancestors. It is only then there is a true meaning for the
     SampradhAyam.

     Also as Sri Sriram Ranganathan as pointed out, we will give all these
     informations and "sampathu" that our ancestors and poorvAchAryAs have
     given us, only to those who are interested. As Swami MaNavAL mAmuni
     explains in his great work upadEsa ratna mAlai, " pArulagil Aasai
     udaiyOrkkellAm AariyargAL koorumenRu", we will help the ones who are
     interested. However to make this happen, we will first create interest
     and then help them.

     Take the muslims for example. They have not at all changed. They still
     do the prayer five times a day in which ever part of the world ( I
     wonder how many of our people do the SandhyAvandhanam regularly) they
     are. They still wear the cap when they go to the namAs etc., So why
     only our Sri VaishNavism. It is true that our Sri VaishNavism is like
     bamboo stick. It is bending as per everybody's desire. It only makes
     the path to salvation very easy. But a change in the basic traditional
     values is nevertheless not necessary.

     If we as parents would have cultivated the habits in our children at a
     very tender age and allow them to learn the meanings, the do's and
     dont's, and the why's and what for, then where is the question of
     those people going astray and following the Sai baba or other such
     self styled guru's.

     Let us atleast take a vow now, before it is too late, that we, in our
     generation atleast, give equal if not more and utmost importance to
     our offsprings in learning and following our sampradhAyams strictly,
     just the way we give importance to their academics for their lowkikam.

     May the blessings of our divine couples and our esteemed AchAryAs be
     with us in doing this for our sampradhAyam to flourish.

     adiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan

     Thirumalai Vinjamoor Venkatesh