cAturmAsya sankalpa

From: Mani Varadarajan (mani_at_alum.calberkeley.org)
Date: Tue Aug 08 2000 - 18:08:46 PDT

Dear Bhagavatas,

According to my pancAnga, the cAturmAsya vrata started on
AshADha Sukla ekAdaSI, July 12 according to the Western
calendar.  But I noticed that Srimad Andavan of Periyashramam
pushed his sankalpa by a few days, and Sri Tridandi Jeeyar
Swami was still touring this country after this date.

What exactly are the rules and traditions for beginning
the cAturmAsya vrata? Sannyasis of such stature must have
had a reason for pushing their sankalpa. Can someone fill
me in on the details?

(No disrespect of any kind is intended by this post --
just curiosity as to the rules behind the cAturmAsya).

Thanks,
dAsan,

Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds! Apply NOW!
1. Fill in the brief application
3. Get rates as low as 0.0% Intro APR and no annual fee!