You are here: Sri Vaishnava Home Page : Bhakti List : Archives : April 1999

lakshmi-nrsimha karavalmba stotram-5

From: sudarshan madabushi (sudarshanm_at_hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Apr 11 1999 - 05:28:35 PDT

Dear bhAgavatOttamA-s,

The 9 primal fears of man have been described in the
"lakshmi-nsrismha-karAvalamba stOtram" through 9 poetic metaphors:

(a) "… jwAlAvalee"         :  the forest-fire

(b) "…jAla-pati-tasya"     :  the fish-net

(c) "…koopa"               :  the well, the abyss

(d) "…Bheekara-kareendra"  :  the irate tusker

(e) "…sarpaGana"          :  the serpent

(f) " … vruksha"         :  the tree

(g) "…nakra"             :  the alligator

(h) "…sAgara"            : the sea

(i) "…gahanE"           : the forest

Many of you, I'm sure, will not fail to quickly notice that the
principal archetypes of fear Sankara bhagavatpAdA refers to in his
hymn above also appear… and not coincidentally perhaps… in the
"purAN-ic" and endearing tale of 'prahlAda'. That poor child of the
"rAkshasA" emperor, Hiranyakashipu, we all know, was thrown into the
middle of the "sea" ("sAgara") to drown. They engaged palace tuskers
in raging rut ("Bheekara-kareendra") to trample the poor child. They
hurled him down into a rocky abyss ("koopa") from high above a cliff
in the hills of Ahobilam. Then they tried tossing the boy into a pit
full of writhing, hissing and hideous serpents ("sarpaGana"). And when
they failed to get rid of him otherwise they deserted the child in the
jungle ("gahanE") to face the grim death which either a raging
forest-fire ("jwAlAvalee") or a swamp-alligator ("nakra") might have
easily dealt.

By alluding to the same archetypes of fear in the stanzas of the
"karAvalamba-stOtrA" as were used in the "purAnA", we see how Sankara
skilfully touches a raw nerve in the recesses of our mind…and triggers
in it…as we slowly recite the verses of the "karAvalamba-stOtrA"…he
evokes in our minds the dark and sepulchral spectre of Man's most
primal of fears.

The horrors hinted in the 'stOtrA' are not, thus, simply those which
Hiranyakassipu in some distant past in "purAn-ic' times intended for a
truant and rebellious son. We are led by Sankara bhagavatpAdA to
instead believe that they are, in truth, the horrors of the living
day… of the present and daily moment! And, again, the victim of those
"purAn-ic" terrors is not really PrahlAda. The unfortunate and
unguarded victims… the "stOtrA' subtly reminds us…the real victims
of those terrors are none other than ourselves!

The fear of the raging forest-fire, the "jwAlavalee", or of the mad
elephant ("bheekara-kareendra")… or of the vicious serpents
("sarpaGana")…these are all fears which come to perennially haunt us
in this world…. These are the fears which WE must seek to overcome…
These are all indeed the fears of life from which WE have to seek
freedom….

If we have not understood this truth of the "purAn-ic" tale of
"prahlAdA"… if we have not grasped this stark lesson from that hoary
legend of our faith which generations of our "purvAchAryA-s" have
never tired of recounting… then, truly indeed, we have learnt nothing
at all from one of the greatest stories ever told in all the Vedic
tradition of ancient India!

************        ***************      ****************

If the archetypes of fear used in the "pUrAn-ic" story of "prahlAdA"
are the same ones which Sankara's 9 (nine) poetic metaphors evoke in
the verses of the "lakshmi-nrsimha karAvalamba stOtram", what are
they?

The 9 Archetypes of Fear are as follows:

(a) "… jwAlAvalee"    :  the forest-fire  i.e   Desire

(b) "…jAla-pati-tasya":  the fish-net  i.e  The tyranny of the senses

(c) "…koopa"          :  the well, the abyss i.e   Sorrow

(d) "…Bheekara-kareendra" : the irate tusker i.e  Death

(e) "…sarpaGana"      :  the serpent  i.e.   Evil

(f) " … vruksha"      :  the tree     i.e   Delusion

(g) "…nakra"          :  the alligator i.e   Time

(h) "…sAgara"         : the sea         i.e   Personal oblivion

(i) "…gahanE"         : the forest       i.e   Transmigration

We must next proceed to examine each of the above.

adiyEn dAsAnu-dAsan,
Sudarshan