RE: the meaning of pranavam

From the Bhakti List Archives

• April 27, 2003

Sri Krishnaya Namah!

In BG Lord Krishna says that Among Vak, he is 'OM' and among letters, he is
'A' (in vibhuti yoga).

If we take into consideration 'Om Namo Narayanaya', as per PBA Swami's
Sarartha Deepikai's explanation - Om is the pranavam and Namo Narayanaya is
the manthra sesham.  So for every manthra these two variables are constant.
 If we chant only 'Om' also that refers to the Supreme Lord.

I read in the vishnusahasramas that with respect to His Nama, Madhava,  the
syllable MA refers to Goddess Lakshmi and I want to know how this syllable
can be referred to as 'jivatma'.

Net net, Om is a pranava and it is Lord Krishna Himself.  This by itself
leads us to Supreme God.

Humble pranams if there are errors in this and I seek further feedback from
the acharyas in this group.

Sukumar

Sri Krishna Parabrahmane Namah!