RE: Gita and Ahimsa (and Gandhiji)

From the Bhakti List Archives

• April 3, 2003

[Sri Pradeep has presented the traditional understanding of svadharma.Please minimize speculation while replying to this mail and restrict your replies to the understanding of svadharma according to Ramanujar and other Sri Vaishnava Acharyas including the current ones. Since this is a question very germane to the current generation, personal views are welcome as long as they are backed by Smriti or Shruti references..Specifically, please avoid statements like "I feel the classification should be based on..." etc. Finally, let us leave Gandhiji out of this. As has been rightly pointed out, his understanding of Gita or our understanding of him are not very relevant here. ---Moderator]

Sri Krishnaya Namah!

The last paragraphs erosed my curiosity to know --

1. What is svadharma then.  Is it not a profession that we indulge in. For
example, if we talk of Brahmana - his svardhama is to do 'tikala
sandhyavandhana; yagnas, yagas and other brahminical duties for the
society.  In case of Vaishya, if he indulges in his profession of business
of selling spices, cereals etc., is it not his svardhama. Also, what is the
role of kshatriyas in present days that will be labelled as svardhama.
 What is the parameter with which the professions can be considered as
svadharma in each varnashrama.

3. Is Ahimsa, charity work, social services are not worthwhile as per veda.
 Being a good and humble intentions, I think these should be way of life of
human beings, to slowly get on to the ladder of many  births before being
able to digest vedas and do accordingly to realise God in his last birth.
 I don't know whether I am right or not, but I need a more elaborate
distinguishment between 'unselfish' to 'selfless'.  As you might be aware
that unselfish instincts are those of sathvik natured; while the selfless
nature is of brahmagyani.  There is a delicate thin line between these and
I want to know more about the differences.

regards
sukumar

PS:  I definitely agree to the view point that Gandhiji and his views are
incomparable to those of rishis; as the former is a sathvik person while
the latter are brahma gyanis.  Gandhiji dedicated his life for the country
and they to God and His realisation.

Sri Krishnaparabrahmane Namah!

-----