Re: The Moustache

From the Bhakti List Archives

• April 30, 2002

Dear friends,
Interesting piece on moustache.

May i add one more information on this subject.

In Valmiki ramayana in the sundara kandam, there comes a chapter in
which sri Hanuman, in a bid to get into the good books of Sita in the
Ashoka vana sings in praise of sri rama. This pariticular chapter
(sorry iam unable to quote the chapter number) is about the
description of Srirama's beauty and his physical characteristics as
mouthed by Sri Hanuman ( In this context I would like to hear from
our learned friends whether this is the one and only place in
Ramayana speaking of sri rma's soundarya gunas from the point of view
of Sri Hanuman)
Sri hnuman unmistakably speaks of the moustache of Sri Rama in this
chapter.
There is every possibility that Sri Rama had stopped shaving after he
lost Sita (something of a 'Devadas' look- pardon me for using this
phrase)But that Sri Hanuman speaks of the moustache alone and
describes the beauty of his face  is proof enough that Sri rma must
have sported moustache regularly and desisted from putting up an
unkempt look even at the saddest times.

Kindly pardon me for any mistakes sited,
regards,
>From
JAYASREE SARNATHAN

--- In bhakti-list@y..., sadagopan iyengar