From the Bhakti List Archives

• April 23, 2002

srImathE rAmAnujAya namaha
srImadh varavara munayE namaha

Dear Sri Balaji,

A good question. I will try to answer this to my knowledge. First of
all an apachAram is something relative and with respect to the
persons involved. Only if it is considered as an offense by the other
person, it becomes an offense. Otherwise there is nothing wrong. Sri
ThirukkOshtiyUr nambi is lesser than any AchAryA and he is guNa
poorNa. The word "nambi" in tamizh is the meaning of the
word "poorNa" in sanskrit. "poorNA" means complete.

What characters makes a man a "poorNA"?
-- The characters of dayA & kshamA makes the man a poorNA.
What is a characteristic of a true AchAryA?
-- The quality of being neutral in analysing and accepting the truth
even if it was said by his sishyA.

Sri thirukkOshtiyUr nambi had both the above complete qualities. So,
though initially he got offended, he then analysed and accepted what
Sri rAmAnuja did and hence forgave him, rather he corrected himself.
So where is the question of an apachAram at all here.

Now what is true lakshaNa of a sishyA ?
-- To know what his guru will think and to act in such a way that you
never offend your guru.

I am sure every one would accept that Sri rAmAnuja did exactly the
same. He knew that he is not doing anything wrong and he also knew
that his guru, who is a highly knowledgeable person, will analyse and
accept his deeds.

THE RIGHT GURU FOR THE RIGHT SISHYA. Outstanding example for Guru-
sishya lakshaNam isn't it.

AzhwAr emberumAnAr jeeyar thiruvadigaLE saraNam
adiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan
Thirumalai Vinjamoor Venkatesh

--- In bhakti-list@y..., "K Balaji"  wrote:
> Dear BhagavatAs,
>
> While it is a commendable act of Acharya Ramanuja to share
Thirumandiram to