A General Announcement and Thirumanjana Kattiyams for Perumals ( Oppiliappan , RanganaTan and VaradarAjan ): Part I

From the Bhakti List Archives

• April 7, 2002

To:Bhakthi , Oppiliappan@yahoogroups.com,
   tiruvengadam@yahoogroups.com, malolan_net@yahoogroups.com,
   parakalamatham@yahoogroups.com, Srivenugopala@yahoogroups.com,
   acharya@yahoogroups.com, Ramanujamission@yahoogroups.com,
   SrirangaSri@yahoogroups.com, Saranagathy@yahoogroups.com
CC: srengara@hotmail.com, hareshb@pacific.net.sg, Ranga@yahoogroups.com,
   alwar@vsnl.com, Seeksha@hotmail.com

From: Sadagopan

Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 21:48:03 -0400 (EDT)

Vishu Samvathsara Panguni Sravanam
************************************
SrI:

Dear BhakthAs:

yesterday was SravaNa Vratham and today VishNu
Nakshathram of SravaNam is presiding still.

AN ANNOUNCEMENT ON ADIYEN'S FUTURE POSTINGS
adiyEn wants to make an important announcement
regarding the two Future sites of appearance of
my postings . They will appear solely in the Oppiliappan
and SaraNAgathy Lists from hereon .

THIS IS TO AVOID TOO MANY E-MAILS
**********************************
To reduce the reader discomfort by publishing in
many lists to reach out to a wider audience ,
it occured to me that it will be better to
confine the publishings of my postings in
the Oppiliappan and Saranagathy Lists alone.

Please subscribe to Oppiliappan List and
Saranagathy lists if you wish to recieve
the postings on the current series and the
postings on future series . The e-mail for
subscriptions to the two lists are :

Oppiliappan-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Saranagathy-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

All of you are invited to contribute
postings on VisishtAdvaitham, Dhivya prabhandhams ,
Veda Manthrams , PoorvAchArya SrI Sookthis,
and Dhivya Desam projects to the Oppiliappan e-list.

Status of Ongoing Series
*************************
The current series awaiting completion
in the newly created  Oppiliappan List are:

1.SrI GuNa Rathna Kosam of ParAsara Bhattar
  (SlOkams 56-61).
2.SrI VaradarAja Sthavam of KurEsar(slOkams 18-101)
3.SrI SaraNAgathi DhIpikai of Swamy Desikan( SlOkams 20-59).
4.Maangalya Sthavam( SlOkams 5-43)
5.Veda Manthrams linked to SaraNAgathy
6.Individual VaanamAmalai Paasurams
7.Chillarai Rahasyams of Swamy Desikan in
   SaraNAgathy List
8.DramidOpanishad Saaram of Swamy Desikan
  in Oppiliappan List.(slOkam 5-26).

Future Series
**************
The future series will start with
the Thirumanjana Kattiyam for RanganAthan.

Four other series will follow on
Lord RanganAthan in the Oppiliappan List:

1) SrI RanganAtha SuprabhAdham (27 slOkams) sung after
   ThirupaLLIyezucchi at SrIrangam and hopefully
   soon at Lord RanganAthA's temple at Pomona , NY.

2) SrI RanganAtha Sthuthi ( 9 slOkams)

3) SrI RanganAtha Prapatthi (5 slOkams)

4) SrI RanganAtha MangaLam ( 11 slOkams)

All of these are composed by Aasukavi KidAmbi
T.Govinda Iyengar of SrIvilliputthUr.

The Quartet for Malayappa Swami at Thirumalai
At dhivya dEsams , SuprabhAtham , Sthuthi ,
Prapatthi and MangaLam go together. At Thirumalai,
this quartet was composed by PrathivAdhi Bhayakaram
ANNA . The meanings and commentaries of this
quartet has been inclued by adiyEn in the VenkatEswara
Home pages (http://venkateswara.freeservers.com).

ThiruviNNagar Related Quartet
******************************
At ThiruviNNagar , these were composed by
SrI Vaikunta Vaasi Vangipuram NabanItham
SrIrama DesikAcchAr Swamy (http://oppili.org).

Kanchi Varadarajan's SuprabhAtham
**********************************
Anyone who knows a similar set used at
Kanchi SrI VaradarAjan's temple are requested
to let me know.

Plans for a New Multimedia Interactive CD ROM
It is adiyEn's plan to create an interactive
CD ROM with recitations of Thirumanjana Kattiyam for
the three PerumAls at ThiruviNNagaram , SrIrangam and
Kaanchipuram. We already have  wonderful videos of
Thirumanjanam and PuRappAdu for Lord VaradarAjan
with His new svarNa Kavacham . That will be included
in the future CD ROM . If anyone knows of Thirumanjana
Kattiyam for Lord VenkatEsan of Thirumalai , please let
adiyEn know. We can integrate it with the current home pages
for ThiruvEngadamudayAn ( http://venkateswara.freeservers.com).

Thanks to all Moderators  of the SrI VaishNavite e-Lists
adiyEn wants to thank all the moderators of the various
lists (Bhakthi, SrI Ranga SrI , Venugopala, Ramanuja Mission,
International Ramanuja Society , AchArya, ParakAla Matam
and Malolan ) for releasing my postings in their lists
until now . The moderators of these lists are welcome
to make use of adiyEn's postings , as needed in future .
adiyEn will continue to be a Member of all of the above lists
to keep abreast of the informative postings in these lists .

Introduction to Thirumanjana Kattiyams
***************************************
adiyEn would like to start a series of postings on
the Thirumanjana Kattiyams for the dhivya Desa EmperumAns
at three dhivya Desams : Oppiliappan Koil , SrIrangam
and Kaanchi .

ThiruviNNagar Thirumanjana Kattiyam
************************************
adiyEn has already posted the Thirumanjana Kattiyam
for ThiruviNNagarappan few months back and it is
archived in the Home pages for our Kula Dhaivam
( http://oppiliappan.org/kattiyam.htm

SrI RanganAthan's Thirumanjana Kattiyam
Most recently , Sri Thirukkudanthai Samapth Rengarajan
gave me a copy of NamperumAL Thirumanjana Kattiyam
by Swamy Parasara Bhattar some nine centuries ago .
SrI vaishNava SrI PutthUr A. KrishnamAcchAr Swamy
reelased this 87 page monograph in Tamil with
the original slOkmas in Sanskrit. It is the tradition
at SrIrangam for the descendants of the ParAsara Bhattar
and Veda VyAsa Bhattar to recite this Kattiyam in front
of SrI RanganAthan on the first day of Tamil Months ,
Every EkAdasi , Revathi days ( birth nakshathram of
NamperumAL ) , the two grahaNams and the last days of
many uthsavams. Lord RanganAthA has his Thirumanjanam
on these days.

During those occasions , the PuruhOthithar of Lord of
SrIrangam is invited for the recitation of the Veda manthrams
and Thirumanjana Kattiyam .Bhattar was appointed by RaamAnujA
to be the SrI RangEsa PurOhithar . Bhattar composed this
beautiful kattiyam , where he compares PerumAL to a River,
Mountain , Ocean , Kalpaka Vruksham , Rain-laden cloud , Sooryan ,
Chandran and wrote a scholarly commentary on each of the slOkams
with pramAnams from Veda-Saasthra-PurANa -IthihAsams and
the SrI sookthis of PoorvAcharyALs. These MaNipravALa
Commentaries are deep in meanings and are read even today with
individual Thirumanjana Kattiyam slOkams by the descendants
of the Vamsam of ParAsara and Veda VyAsa Bhattars , the two
sons of KuratthAzhwAn and ANDAL AmmAL. Both were born
as RanganAtha PrasAdham to KurEsa Dampathis and were given
their names by AchArya RaamAnujA Himself.

Dr.S. Padmanbhan of DevanAr ViLagam has commented on
the Thirumanjana Kattiyams in his book on "Parasara
BhattA: His contribution to VisishtAdhvaithA . adiyEn
will add to that and include the excerpts from Swamy
Parasara Bhattar's own MaNipravALam commentary .

with prayers to asmath AchAryan , Prakrutham Azhagiya Singar,
SrImath NaarAyaNa Yathindhra MahA Deikan and adiyEn's
Kula Dhaivam , SrI BhUmi Devi SamEtha SrI OppilA appan
for completion of these Kaimakryams ,

NaarAyaNa , NaarAyaNa , NaarAyaNa
Daasan , Oppiliappan Koil VaradAchAri SaThakOpan/SadagOpan