Re: a question on nitya-suris

From the Bhakti List Archives

• April 25, 2000

SrImAn Kasturi,

The ChAndogya upanishad refers *only* to the creation
of the 'material universe.'  That is why the acharya
uses the word 'idam,' which means 'this,' referring to
the already-manifested universe that the shisya is
seeing in front of him.   That is why 'sat' alone
existed as Iswara along with the unmanifest prakriti
and the jeeva at the beginning of *this* kalpa.  Note
that the creation and dissolution process itself is
eternal, so the acharya refers only to this kalpa when
he says 'in the beginning.'  The 'spiritual universe'
consisting of vaikuntham and the nitya and mukta
jeevas are *not* to be included in this context, since
they do not have any creation or dissolution
associated with them.

- murali kadambi