Confusion Once more !!!

From the Bhakti List Archives

• April 23, 2000

om ajnana-timirandhasya jnananjana-salakaya
caksur unmilitam yena tasmai sri-gurave namah

"I was born in the darkest ignorance, and my spiritual master opened my eyes
with the torch of knowledge. I offer my respectful obeisances unto him."

sri-caitanya-mano-'bhistam sthapitam yena bhu-tale
svayam rupah kada mahyam dadati sva-padantikam

"When will Srila Rupa Gosvami Prabhupada, who has established within this
material world the mission to fulfill the desire of Lord Caitanya, give me
shelter under his lotus feet? "

vande 'ham sri-guroh sri-yuta-pada-kamalam sri-gurun vaisnavams ca
sri-rupam sagrajatam saha-gana-raghunathanvitam tam sa-jivam
sadvaitam savadhutam parijana-sahitam krsna-caitanya-devam
sri-radha-krsna-padan saha-gana-lalita-sri-visakhanvitams ca

"I offer my respectful obeisances unto the lotus feet of my spiritual master
and unto the feet of all Vaisnavas. I offer my respectful obeisances unto
the lotus feet of Srila Rupa Gosvami along with his elder brother Sanatana
Gosvami, as well as Raghunatha Dasa and Raghunatha Bhatta, Gopala Bhatta,
and Srila Jiva Gosvami. I offer my respectful obeisances to Lord Krsna
Caitanya and Lord Nityananda along with Advaita Acarya, Gadadhara, Srivasa,
and other associates. I offer my respectful obeisances to Srimati Radharani
and Sri Krsna along with Their associates, Sri Lalita and Visakha."

Dear Vaishnavas,

Hare Krishna.
Please accept my humble obeisances.

Although I wish to end the mail thread, somehow or the other it has to
continue.
Anand while indicating that he wishes to discontinue with the SV-GV
discussion, has continued with his postings on the list.
Kasturi while terming our discussions as a stalemate and having indicated an
agreement to disagree, has continued with his thread. As such, I shall also
continue.

It has not been my intention to criticise SV. In fact, I have never
criticised SV if you were to closely read my mails. Both Anand and Kasturi
have gotten self-defensive of their own interpretations of Visishtadvaita.
That is the point that I am making. I addressed my doubts regarding the
points made in their postings, not Visishtadvaita per se.

I am not so thick skinned as to boast of the superiority of GV over SV on a
SV forum. The attack was inaugurated by Anand who called the opinions of the
GV sentimental. Any disciple has the obligation to defend his spiritual
master's works when it is attacked. I have done just that. Wherever the
criticism may come from, I must do my duty towards my spiritual master and
my sampradaya.

As such Anand, if you criticise, then you must be ready to also face the
firing squad wherever you may be. We shall not sit as dodo ducks to simply
get hit and smile gleefully. I had to write in a strong way to show you and
all the other SVs that such criticism can also be levelled in the reverse.
It is not at all difficult to criticise. It is only difficult to glorify
another. Therefore kindly refrain from sentimental attacks in the future.
All this can do is to start counter attacks.

While you reiterate the SV stance, it is best that you avoid passing
judgement on another philosophy. Just state the SV position on the matter
and leave the reader to decide. There is no need to speak for GV when you
are not a practising GV. In as much as you claim that I have misunderstood
SV, I would say the same about your having misunderstood GV despite having
studied GV literature. That is the biggest pity. Obviously it appears that
the tendency has been to fault find while reading the literature.

As for Kasturi, when did I state that GV is better than SV ? Another
strawman statement. I have merely questioned both of your postings as well
as Anand's. That's all ! And I have defended the allegations Anand made
against GV. That is my duty being a GV whichever list I may be in.

One thing is for sure. This dialogue and debate has aroused a lot of
interest in GV on the part of many SVs on the list. Many have written to me
asking for more information on GV. I must thank both of you for indirectly
facilitating that !

And Anand, in our GV tradition, we call every Vaishnava "His Grace" if the
person is male. Whether you personally feel unfit to receive that address or
otherwise, it is basic Vaishnava etiquette on our part. There is no sarcasm
intended. We may have our disagreements but we respect you as a Vaishnava
and Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu having adopted the principle of Vaishnava seva
from the Sri Sampradaya, has told us to respect all Vaishnavas irrespective
of sampradaya. Therefore, I have addressed you as "His Grace".

Secondly, it is not my understanding that is feeble. Communicating in
english complex sanskrit terms is a problem at times and can lead to
misunderstandings if the matter is not thoroughly explained. As such, it is
not my understanding that is feeble. On the contrary, it is your
understanding of what I am trying to imply that is feeble.

Stay tuned. Both Narasimhan Ranganathan and myself will reply to Anand, both
on the list and in private. Anand, if you seriously wish to stop the
discussion on the list, then please exhibit that in practice. We too then
shall stop our postings and correspond in private. Otherwise, for the sake
of defending our sampradaya, we would have no other choice but to keep
posting our rebuttals should you play the double-sided game of telling us to
stop on the promise that you would and then continuing with your mails on
the list on the other hand.

Your servant,

Harijana kinkara,
R. Jai Simman