You are here: Sri Vaishnava Home Page : Bhakti List : Archives : April 2000

RE: An Advaita Point and its refutation

From: R.Rajiv (rajiv_at_cdotb.ernet.in)
Date: Mon Apr 17 2000 - 02:10:43 PDT

> 
> SrI rAmAnujAya namaH
> 

> That's why vedAs, originated from Supreme Lord itself has been given to us ,
> for following, there fore we should simply follow the vedAs for getting
> perfect knowledge. 

  Could anyone please clarify the "Srivaishnava" position on this issue?

 I don't think vedas have origin. It is considered "anadi" and
"Apaurusheya"  Of course it
was first instructed to the "non- mukthas" by the LORD to Chaturmukha
brahma.
    
 > 

> 4.	Sruti - sabda ( based on hearing from disciplic succession -
> starting from LORD himself ) 
> 

    It is furthur argued that though we get correct knowledge from the
vedas .. it is we who interpret them.....so again the problem remains as
to who is the right person to interpret them !!!
	I think that is the reason why we have a lot of interpretaions!!!
(though from the same disciplic succession)

 It is important to note that though "ISKCON" have the same disciplic
succession  from MADHVA they have a different doctrine!!!! ( This is not
the forum to discuss this.... Please refrain from posting this into this
forum.....however U can send personal mails)

Hare Krishna,
rajiv

> 
> 
> 
> AdiYen dAsan,
> Mahesh
> 
> 
> 		-----Original Message-----
> 		From:	M.S.HARI [mailto:mshari@usa.net]
> 		Sent:	Tuesday, April 11, 2000 3:05 PM
> 		To:	nama-singapore@eGroups.com; bhakti-list@egroups.com
> 		Subject:	An Advaita Point and its refutation 
> 
> 		Dear Bhaagavatas,
> 
> 		Namaskaram. While I was talking with one of my friend who is
> a follower
> 		of Advaita school of philosophical thought, raised an
> objection against
> 		Visistaadvaita and I refuted it. I thought I could share it
> with you all
> 		and that is why I am posting this mail. It is as follows: 
> 
> 		My friend said "See this Hari! An authority (Pramaana) has
> value only
> 		when it imparts knowledge about a thing which cannot be
> known by any
> 		other authority. Veda says "Agnihi Himasya Bheshajam"
> meaning "Fire
> 		is the destroyer of ice". Though it is in the Veda, even a
> common
> 		man who has not read the Veda, knows it by Pratyaksha
> Pramaana itself -
> 		that he can get to know this using his sense organs itself.
> Therefore
> 		"Agnihi Himasya Bheshjam" is least important authority as a
> Vedic verse
> 		as other pramaanas are exisiting in this case. Similarly,
> the "Bheda"
> 		(differences between individuals)is percieved by pratyaksha
> pramaana 
> 		itself. It is therefore not necessary for you
> Visistaadvaitins to
> 		ascertain "Bheda" from the Veda. "Abheda" is not percieved
> by 
> 		pratyaksha. It is told only by Veda. Therefore Abheda sruthi
> is 
> 		more of authority and importance and Bheda sruthi is of
> least
> 		importance and can be ignored - Thus Advaita is proclimed in
> the Veda".
> 
> 		On hearing this argument, I refuted it like this. "See my
> friend!
> 		We Visistaadvitins do not classify the vedic verses as
> important and
> 		least important and we take the entire veda as authority. We
> synchornize
> 		the abheda and bheda sruthis using the gataka sruthi and say
> that
> 		the Brahman qualified by chit and achit entities as its body
> is without
> 		a second entity - Brahman has infinite divine qualities and
> is untouched
> 		by all impurities of chit and achit as Brahman is the soul.
> We therefore
> 		neither say that bheda sruthi is important nor abheda sruthi
> is 
> 		important. All the Veda convey only one meaning without
> contradiction.
> 		Let me accept your argument also for your satisfaction.
> According to you
> 		the authority must say something which is not known by any
> other
> 		authority so that it is called authority (source of
> knowledge). Even then
> 		this body-soul relationship between the chit/achit and the
> Brahman is
> 		not known by any pramaana other than the Veda. Therefore it
> can be
> 		argued from your point itself that the Veda proclaims
> Visistaadvaita.
> 		You cannot say that it proclaims only Advaita because it
> also talks
> 		more about Dvaita. Your usage of Apacheda nyaaya is
> incorrect also."
> 		My friend accepted my point and told that he will get back
> to me
> 		for more clarifications on Visistaadvaita.
> 
> 		Readers, I thank you for reading this. Please send your
> comments.
> 
> 		Thanks & Regards
> 		M.S.HARI Raamaanuja Daasan.
> 
> 	
> ____________________________________________________________________
> 		Get free email and a permanent address at
> http://www.netaddress.com/?N=1
> 
> 	
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 		You can win $1000!
> 		Just one of 1000 great reasons to visit eGroups!
> 		Click here:
> 		http://click.egroups.com/1/2865/2/_/716111/_/955663690/
> 	
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> 	
> --------------------------------------------------------------
> 		           - SrImate rAmAnujAya namaH -
> 		To Post a message, send it to:   bhakti-list@eGroups.com
> 		Visit http://www.ramanuja.org/sv/bhakti/ for more
> information
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Get paid for the stuff you know!
> Get answers for the stuff you donít. And get $10 to spend on the site!
> http://click.egroups.com/1/2200/2/_/716111/_/955949575/
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> --------------------------------------------------------------
>            - SrImate rAmAnujAya namaH -
> To Post a message, send it to:   bhakti-list@eGroups.com
> Visit http://www.ramanuja.org/sv/bhakti/ for more information
> 
> 


------------------------------------------------------------------------
Get paid for the stuff you know!
Get answers for the stuff you donít. And get $10 to spend on the site!
http://click.egroups.com/1/2200/2/_/716111/_/955961369/
------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------
           - SrImate rAmAnujAya namaH -
To Post a message, send it to:   bhakti-list@eGroups.com
Visit http://www.ramanuja.org/sv/bhakti/ for more information