Re: Need advice and clarification.

From the Bhakti List Archives

• April 11, 2000

Dear BhAgawatAs,

In this connection, I have one more question.  Is it
true that bhagawad rAmAnuja does *not* quote from even
the bhAgawata purANa in his srI-bhASya?

In an informal discussion with U. Ve. SMS Chari, I
learnt that the reason rAmAnuja sticks strictly to the
upanishads and other authoratative texts such as
vishnu purANa in commenting on the sutras is because
previous commentators like sankara did so.  If
rAmAnuja had used the AzhwAr srI-sooktis that would
not be palatable to or even accepted by the rival
camps.  SMS Chari continued to point out that the
influence of the AzhwAr srI-sooktis on Ramanuja is
unmistakable from the fact that his direct sishya
ThirukkurukaippirAn piLLAn uses a style very similar
to Ramanuja's to interpret the Thiruvaimozhi.

|| All errors are mine ||

-- adiyen, murali

--- Narasimhan Krishnamachari