(no subject)

From the Bhakti List Archives

• June 10, 1994

Subject: Choodikodutha Chudarkodi ..

Kothai piRandhavoor Govindan vazhumoor sOthi manimaadam thOnRumoor
Neethiyal nallapaththar vazhumoor nAnmaRaigaLOthumoor
Villipuththur vEdakkOnoor padangal theerkum paramanadikatti
VEdamanaithukkum viththagum kothai thamizh iyaindhumindhum
aRiyadha manidarai vaiyam sumappadhum vambhu.

-attributes to Villipuththur - birth place of Andal (also called Choodikkoduththa Chudarkodi - a sparkling girl who wore the garland and offered it to Ranganathar)
Kothai also refers to Andal

I have tried to translate as the context suggests; however, wherever possible
individual words have been explained. It would be better if you read the
meaning first and then come back to the bracketed words.  Hope it makes for
pleasant reading.

Villipuththur is :
-the birth place of Andal, (Kothai piRandha voor)
where Govindan lives,      (Govindan vazhum voor)
where the sun     rises atop the      decorated palaces,
         (sOthi   thOnRumoor      mani      madam)
                (thOnRum + voor)
(sOthi manimadam thOnRumoor - I am not sure here),

place where celebrated bhagavathas live as there is dharma
(voor       nalla      bhakthar    vazhum           needhiyal)
(nEEdhiyal nallapaththar(paththar is literary equivalent for bhakthar vazhumoor)

where the four vEdas are chanted regularly,
(nAnmaRaigaLOthumoor- nanghu(four)+ maRaigal(vEdas)+ Othum (chant regularly) + voor (place)

place where people lead their lives according to the vEdas (vEdakkOnoor).

the next few lines extoll Thiruppavai:

-note :padangal ( I guess it should be papangal or I don't understand this )

it is indeed useless for this world to bear the burden of human beings,
(            vambhu           vaiam    sumappadhum        manidarai)
(manidarai vaiam sumappadhum vambhu)

who do not know the thirty verses
( aRiyadha           iyaindhumindhum(indhuindhu+indhu -5times 5 plus 5)

written by Andal/Kothai, i.e. Thiruppavai
Kothai thamizh
(Kothai thamizh iyandhumindhum aRiyadha)

which is the essence/ root of all vedic scriptures
(   aghum     viththu         vEdamanaiththukkum (vEdam + anaiththukkum (-all))
(vEdamanaiththukkum viththagum)

and which shows you way to the feet of the Lord that washes away sins.
(         kaatti               adi         paraman   theerkkum   papangal)
(papangal theerkkum paramanadi katti)

This is followed by the following verses , also in praise of Andal.
(will post an explanation for them soon)